Before I post about my first new recipe, I’d like to announce that I am in love with my crockpot. I make crockpot meals ALL THE TIME. However, I don’t usually follow a recipe – I more or less shove whatever in that sounds good and hope for the best! (I have not failed, yet!) So I am challenging myself to use recipes for the Crockpot Challenge!
Challenge #1: Chicken Tortilla Soup
I’m not a huge soup fan, I like it, but don’t love it. But, it’s 11 degrees here in Indiana and it’s the best way to warm you up! I read some great reviews about this recipe and thought it would be perfect! IT WAS DELICIOUS! And, BONUS! IT MADE MY HOUSE SMELL PHENOMENAL!!!!!!
Side Note: When I make this recipe again, I will cut down on cumin and do have the can of chile peppers, it was a little spicy for my liking! 🙂
- 1 pound frozen chicken (shred towards end of cooking)
- 1 (15oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (10oz) can enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4oz) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (14.5oz) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10oz) package frozen corn
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
Put chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth and season with cumin, salt, pepper. Stir in corn and black beans. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6-8 hours or on High setting for 3-4 hours.
- I added in 1 can of Mild RoTel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies because I LOVE the flavor
- I garnished with a dollop of plan Greek yogurt, avocado, shredded cheese
- I also added a bit of That Green Sauce that I got my from last foodie pen pal, mmm mmmm good!
Makes 8 servings. 168.6 calories per serving, Total Far: 2.5g, Cholesterol: 35.0mg, Sodium: 311.2mg, Total Carbs: 20.3g, Dietary Fiber: 4.2g, Protein: 17.4g.
*All nutritional facts are pre-additives 🙂